When we hear the word coffee, we tend to think of our favorite hot, steamy morning beverage that helps us wake up and take on the day ahead of us. However, have you ever stopped to consider the health and beauty benefits that extend beyond a simple cup of coffee?
That’s right, there are numerous coffee benefits for skin that will soon make it part of your everyday skin care regime. From cellulite reduction, to anti-aging benefits and sun protection, the effects of coffee on skin is something you’re going to want to pursue further.
Health Benefits of Coffee
Before we breakdown the wonder benefits of coffee on your delicate skin, we’re going to quickly go over all the ways in which drinking this historic beverage is good for your health and vitality. Studies have shown that caffeinated coffee, indeed, may help prevent depression and can contribute towards stability within your mind. Beyond that, drinking coffee can help with:
- Reduced risk of mortality. Research has shown that the consumption of coffee has been linked with reduced risk of mortality rates among people throughout the world. If you want to live longer, drink coffee!
- Lower risk of diabetes. This one particular study found that habitual coffee consumption is associated with a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Protection from cirrhosis. Another study concluded that a special ingredient native to coffee protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis. Essentially, drinking coffee can keep your liver healthier.
- Lower risk of Parkinson disease. Researchers found that coffee and caffeine intake lowered the occurence of Parkinson disease.
- Reduced risk of developing cancer. Although further research is required to confirm the outcome, researchers concluded there is a link between coffee consumption and the reduced risk of developing colon cancer – wow!
Naturally, if all of these good things result from drinking coffee, what can this treasure do for your overall appearance and skin?
Is Coffee Good for Your Skin?
Many of you are probably thinking – coffee and caffeine for a skin care treatment? Sounds crazy! Well, the coffee bean actually comes with an abundance of skin care benefits that may leave you looking rejuvenated and refreshed with healthy, radiant skin.
It all starts with the naturally occurring antioxidants which can found in the coffee bean. These antioxidants help to protect your skin from free radicals that contribute to premature aging, and can do much more.
Additionally, one study showed that caffeine containing cosmetics contributed to increasing epidermal thickness, resulting in a decrease of cellulite within weeks. In layman terms, that means caffeine may help tighten your skin.
Here is a list of the top 10 skin benefits you can make use of with a DIY coffee scrub or skin care containing coffee:
- Exfoliation: (Mechanical) Exfoliation is the process of applying friction to the skin in order to remove dead skin cells and other built-up materials. When ground, coffee makes for the perfect exfoliant that will expose your radiant skin underneath.
- Reduction of Puffy Eyes: Due to the caffeine in coffee, coffee can help you to reduce the puffiness of your eyes after a restless night. We have just the right recipe for you to make those mornings better.
- Improved Circulation: Two studies found that another coffee benefit is its ability to improve the circulation of blood in your skin, thereby delivering more nutrients and washing waste away.
- Slowing Aging: Studies have shown that antioxidants can slow down the natural skin aging process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Coffee is a natural anti-inflammatory mixture that may support your skin in handling the daily environmental stressors.
- Calming Effects: According to research by the University of Scranton, people ingest more antioxidants in coffee than any other common household food or drink. From these antioxidants, researchers have found a link between their presence and the ability of skin to remain balanced in stress.
- Reduces Cellulite: This aforementioned study proved that a formulation containing caffeine reduced the occurrence of cellulite. Moreover researcher showed that an emulsion containing caffeine could reduce the diameter of fatty cells.
- Acne Treatment: Coffee contains a number of antimicrobial substances such as chlorogenic acid or caffeine. These, together with the above mentioned anti-inflammatory effects could help you fight frequent skin infections.
- Hair Growth: Many studies show that caffeine can stimulate hair growth. Together with the improvement of circulation it’s a real treat for your hair and scalp.
- Sun Protection: A number of studies highlight the ability of coffee to protect your skin from sunlight. Its antioxidants and also coffee oil can naturally provide a certain degree of protection from sunlight.
And the list goes on. As you can see, the case for coffee in your skin care and a coffee scrub is indisputable. The next question is – how can you make use of the coffee scrub benefits? What are the recipes that are right for you ?
4 DIY Beauty Recipes with Coffee
Frozen Coffee Cubes: After a restless night coffee can not only make mornings better, but help you fight puffy eyes. Brew up your favorite pot of coffee and pour it into an ice tray. Let it freeze overnight. Grab an ice cube if its one of those mornings, and gently rub it under your eyes. The caffeine will help to drain the excess fluid from under your eyes, while the cold will help to reduce swelling. Do this for a few minutes until you notice the swelling going down.Cellulite Body Scrub: Not only can coffee treat the skin on your face – it can also support you combat cellulite. Since caffeine improves blood circulation, this helps your body to flush away excess water and toxins and may decrease the size of fat cells to achieve a tighter appearance. To make this scrub, follow these directions:
- Blend one cup of chilled ground coffee with leaves from two green tea bags and 1.5 tablespoons of jojoba oil.
- Apply the scrub to your skin in a gentle, circular motion.
- And jump into the shower to rinse it off.
Coffee and Oat Face Mask: By combining the cleansing properties of oats with coffees antioxidants, this face mask will help you to remove impurities and protect your skin. Add some honey for moisture and this face mask becomes a real treat! To create this all natural mask, follow these directions:
- Blend two tablespoons of ground oats, one tablespoon of ground coffee and one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply to the face softly in circular motions.
- You can leave the mixture on your face for up to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Blend ½ teaspoon of olive or almond oil with ½ teaspoon of ground coffee.
- Add a couple drops of water.
- Mix the ingredients and gently massage it into the skin below your eyes, but prevent it from getting in contact with your eyes. Make sure you apply it softly, no rubbing as this could irritate this sensitive area.
- Leave it on your skin for about five minutes, then wash it away with a damp and soft towel.
Click here if you are looking for more DIY coffee scrubs.
You can use both fresh or used ground coffee in the creation of these coffee scrubs. However, for a more sustainable approach, we recommend using used ground coffee.
As you can see, the case for coffee in your skin care and a coffee scrub is indisputable. But we understand you probably don’t have the time to make these DIY coffee scrubs. Here at mellow NOIR, we are committed to conscious creation of skin care, taking your needs and our environment into account.
That’s why we have developed our very own facial moisturiser which contains oil extracted from spent coffee grounds. This not only ensures we make most of coffees benefits but also lets us contribute positively to the environment.
It’s a cleaner, easier alternative to DIY recipes, still equipped with the loads of benefits that coffee has to offer. It’s our very own clean, vegan, sustainable and effective moisturiser, made with you in mind. Give it a try and let us know what you think!